To get help, call the Love is Respect Hotline, 1-866-331-9474 and/or WomenSpirit Coalition, 360-683-2254.
What is Dating Violence?
Dating violence is controlling, abusive, and aggressive behavior in a romantic relationship. Victims may can be any age, in straight or gay relationships. It is when one person exerts power and control over another. It can include verbal, emotional, physical, or sexual abuse, or a combination.
Dating Violence Examples
- Calling you names
- Being jealous
- Putting you down
- Threatening to hurt you, your friends/family
- Threatening to hurt himself if he doesn’t get what he wants
- Physical abuse like shoving, hitting, slapping, kicking, hair pulling, strangulation
- Sexual abuse like unwanted touching/kissing, forced sex, not letting you use birth control
To Get Help
To get help, call your local domestic violence agency, the Love is Respect Hotline, 1-866-331-9474 and/or WomenSpirit Coalition, 360-683-2254.
There are few statistics on dating violence and American Indian/Alaska Native people. However specific states have compiled statistics concerning teen dating violence:
- A Minnesota youth study found that 92% of American Indian girls who reported having sexual intercourse have been forced against their will to have sex.
- Teen dating violence rate among high school students in Alaska’s Native communities was 13.3 percent, compared to the national average of 9.8 percent.
- Youth are exhibiting dating violence behaviors progressively younger each year. (WSC -2015)
- Nearly half (43%) of dating college women report experiencing violent and abusive dating behaviors. (LoveIsRespect.org)
- One in six (16%) college women has been sexually abused in a dating relationship. (LoveIsRespect.org)
WomenSpirit Coalition (WSC) can help Tribes and other organizations find ways to stop dating violence, and bring perpetrators to justice. WSC offers staff training and program development consultation. We help staff and tribal community members to address dating violence and offer solutions. Please call us, 360-683-2254.